Cambodia LGBT Legal Support (CLGBT)
The Cambodia LGBT Legal Support (CLGBT) is led by a youth group of university students who finish their thesis in 2013. The thesis is analyzed on LGBTI issues and the students were inspired by Mr Srun Srorn, a core founder of CamASEAN, provided them all the anayzis include social and legal situations of being gay in Cambodia. Srorn provoke the students some idea to work and encouraged the university students that made the assignment involved with LGBTI, and he has given the time to train the project members to understand of LGBTs life, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression and basic of human rights integration into gender concept. With this we decided to build this project and add more members who are heterosexuality and homosexuality students who are interested in legal and human rights. Our strategies are producing social media, using technology and face 2 face meeting to provide legal counseling, legal assistance as well as referral system to other capable networks who are Rainbow Community Kampuchea (RoCK), Community Legal Service (CLS), Women Networ for Unity (WNU), Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR), UN of Office of High Commissionor for Human Rights (UNOHCHR) and other important legal NGOs. So we hope that this project can help LGBTs people can live independently as well as to be who they are and live happy lives.
Project Background and Description
Lack of legal support for the LGBTI people and their community in Cambodia lead this community full of stigma and discrimination, isolation and increasing poverty rate faster. We have come up with the idea of how to support them specifically legal support by the way we are doing:
LGBTI human rights abuses are not reported and supported by any groups, organizations and government sectors directly yet. The CLGBT believe that legal reform in the country from bottom-up and up-bottom will be the huge systematic changes to aware LGBT situation but also provide legal mechanism support. Our tasks are to build the connection or bridge from legal groups to LGBTI community or LGBT people to legal groups. Our scope of work are Networking
- Internal: Work with CCP, CWC, CICT and AHR for common issues
- External (Individual person, NGOs/UN, Govt and Private Sector (inlcude Media) : Identifying human rights, MSM, and LGBT organization to work with: CCHR, RoCK, CLS, WNU, MHC, MHSS, CCSD, BC, GADC, LICADHO, ADHOC, SILAKA..ec
1. Identifying roles:
- Law analysis: To pick up the specific laws of Cambodia and international laws for inserting the human rights of LGBTI as well as the sexual orientation and gender identity/expression.
- Lobbying networking above: Base on the law analysis, we can ask for meeting and training the selected network, monk.
- Documentationt: Legal counselling online, offline and phone, and provide legal support to cases of LGBT people
- Analyse: Meeting among core members two times a week through face 2 face.
- Sharing: Online through the facebook group and page and website and offline with face 2 face
- Meeting: To lobying NGOs, Government and some selected private companies
- Training: Organize training every month with specific inviite people from publice, students, NGOs, Government and private companies.
3. Documentation (include cases): Through network, media and individual LGBT we can find cases of LGBT then we support them through legal counselling, provide them lawyer (we can work with legal NGOs) as well as hire a lawyer. Documenting is the important role to prove to development partners as well as government to protect LGBTI people as human
- Team building: With the selected members by Leangsreng and Kolex who are the leaders of this team:
- Team building training
- SOGIE training
- Human Rights training
- LGBT problem analyse training
- Problem solving among team (which include identify clear roles and responsibility of team members and team.
- Visible connection among team through facebook, twitter, blog, or face to face meeting when there is any problem happen among team members